This year marks the first where I have the chance to use tablets systematically in a classroom, in my case with a group of 14-year old English learners, so there are a lot of things that I’ve read about but hadn’t had the opportunity to try. This week in class I tested testing with the iPad for the first time. Here is what I’ve learned.
- Getting the students to access the link and open the Google form was easy. I instructed them to keep the test/iPad facedown while we waited for everyone to be ready. Discipline, also during the test, was good.
- There were hardly any technical glitches. In one instance a student could not submit the form (the button was unrespnsive) so I had to take screenshots of her work. In a tablet classroom, I’ve grown used to the fact that you have to have a Plan B in case the tech fails.
- I realized quite quickly that I had neglected to block access to Google or to a dictionary app because they could have easily looked the terms up. Luckily none of them thought of this (or felt it would be too risky).
- I hadn’t realized that the auto-correction (albeit in German) and auto-capitalization was active on their iPads. When they typed in words, things would automatically change. I ended up de-activating these functions for 2 students. Next time I’d need to ensure that they are off by default.